Saturday, May 4, 2013

Connections -James Burke: Yesterday, Tomorrow and You


This is the conclusion of the first series of "Connections". It is still quite relevant, as the philosophical questions he asks are still important today. I found myself asking the same questions as they might apply to the gun control debate or environmentalist wackos. And other questions he was asking in 1979, "Will our quality of life continue to improve?", have been answered affirmatively for the last thirty years, but we could ask the same question today and have the same uncertainty he had then.

If they ever invent time travel, I should like to go back in time and meet him there at the British Airways computer and hand him my smart phone!



Episode One "Trigger effect" .

Two: Death in the Morning

Three: Distant Voices

Four: "Faith in Numbers"

Five: "The Wheel of Fortune"

Six: "Thunder in the Skies"

Seven: The Long Chain

Eight: Eat, Drink and Be Merry

Nine: Countdown

4 comments:

  1. I loved that series and his other one "The Day the Univerise Chaged." They opened my eyes to the way the world really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd feel better about all the cash being funneled to PBS if it was more James Burke and less Bill Moyers.

      Delete
  2. Who needs PBS?

    What is great today is cable TV. There are science channels for the thinkers of society as well as Duck Dynasty for the mouth breathing masses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Who needs PBS?" Exactly. They could easily fund themselves without suckling at the taxpayer's teat. I can't remember the last time I watched it myself. With all the variety of both cable and broadcast TV, if they were weaned from government money and somehow couldn't manage to stay afloat, there would be countless outlets bidding for whatever good programing remained.

      Delete