Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ron Paul Wins Straw Poll - Gets to Keep Straw!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Over at the NYT, there's the headline: "Ron Paul Is No. 1 for 2012". Foregoing all the obvious "number one and number two" jokes, does brother Paul stand a chance in 2012?

Certainly in the conservative movement today, no one has run for president as many times from as many parties as has Ron Paul. Is he rapidly becoming the Williams Jennings Bryan or the Lyndon LaRouche of the Republican party?

Some have suggested that this latest straw poll victory may actually hurt him more than help him. I tend to agree. By bringing attention to himself this early on, people will focus on all the things they don't like about Paul and the reasons they did not support him or vote for him in the past.

And while he has a strong record for being reelected inside his district, his track record for national votes has been sadly lacking.

I don't want to rehash all the reasons that a Paul candidacy leaves me cold. I've gone over that here and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and...well, I think you get the message!



Since I don't believe that Paul has changed or moderated any of his views since then, my opinion remains the same. Certainly if he has shifted in any of his foreign policy positions, I would be happy to hear of it. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Update: On the other hand, you just have to admire anyone who is so up front with their support!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


H/T Mememorandum
Cross posted at Say Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment