Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fess Parker, R.I.P.

Best known for his role as Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, Fess Parker was a cultural icon back in the mid to late fifties. The Ballad of Davy Crockett was a best seller, Bill Hayes version making number 1 on the weekly Billboard charts. Coonskin caps were the craze, though I never owned one myself, but I did own my own "Davy Crockett" flintlock and canteen! (Ol' Betsy was his rifle's name. I'd forgotten that until just now.) Fess Parker became so associated with the role of rugged frontiersman, that he went on to play Daniel Boone for six seasons on television. His portrayals of Crockett, Boone and other frontiersmen may not have been historically accurate, but he provided a role model for America's youth, along with good wholesome entertainment. His later life found fulfillment as a businessman: winemaker and real estate developer. He was 85. He starred in other pictures like "The Great Locomotive Chase". His filmography can be found here. Cross posted at Say Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment