Saturday, August 22, 2009

Obama to Couric: Martha's Vineyard About "Quality Time" with Daughters

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


USA Today quoted Barack Obama in an interview with the perky Katie Couric:

"Do I think every single day about the hardships that people are going through? Absolutely. Do I think the American people think that because of those hardships I shouldn't spend some quality time with my daughters? I don't think that's what the American people think."


You're right, Barack. They don't think that, because you have set up a false equivalence that would never occur to decent, hardworking American people! What does the issue of spending "quality time" have to do with spending it in a pricey resort? Nothing. I have spent quality time with each of my five children and I can't say that any of it ever had to do with where we were, it had to do with what we were doing.

I tried to picture applying this lame Barack Obama rationale to other activities one might engage in. Gentlemen: Please don't try these at home!

Scenario one: You buy the big 42 inch plasma TV you've been wanting, but you tell your wife it's so you can spend some "quality time" watching football with your kids!
"Quality time" obviously trumps any budgetary needs, saving for a rainy day or more practical purchases.

Scenario two: You drive home in a brand new Corvette convertible, and you tell your wife it's so you can spend some "quality time" taking your daughters to Girl Scout meetings. The fact that you could have taken them in a Volvo or a Subaru is trumped by the "Quality time" mantra!

I think you can see the folly, no? No one begrudges Obama spending quality time with his little girls. I certainly don't. I just think it is quite cowardly to hide behind their little skirts when telling the American people that no matter how many of them are out of work or losing their jobs or their homes that he feels he can damn well vacation in some of the priciest spots on earth, because he can. The issue is not the time spent with his daughters. He could do that anywhere.
Despite Obama's attempted sleight of hand, it's about the appearance of opulence in a time of recession. And despite the cover given him by the MSM, he still fails Leadership 101.

Cross posted at Say Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment