Monday, September 15, 2008

The Audacity of Resume Padding

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Imagine "Urkel" meets "The Office"!


Sweetness and Light has a little commentary on the fabled exploits of Barry O in his pre-community organizer days:

Eventually a consulting house to multinational corporations agreed to hire me as a research assistant. Like a spy behind enemy lines, I arrived every day at my mid-Manhattan office and sat at my computer terminal, checking the Reuters machine that blinked bright emerald messages from across the globe. As far as I could tell I was the only black man in the company, a source of shame for me but a source of considerable pride for the company’s secretarial pool.


As far as he could tell...in a totally self-absorbed kind of way?

First, it wasn’t a consulting house; it was a small company that published newsletters on international business. Like most newsletter publishers, it was a bit of a sweatshop. I’m sure we all wished that we were high-priced consultants to multinational corporations. But we also enjoyed coming in at ten, wearing jeans to work, flirting with our co-workers, partying when we stayed late, and bonding over the low salaries and heavy workload.

Barack worked on one of the company’s reference publications. Each month customers got a new set of pages on business conditions in a particular country, punched to fit into a three-ring binder. Barack’s job was to get copy from the country correspondents and edit it so that it fit into a standard outline. There was probably some research involved as well, since correspondents usually don’t send exactly what you ask for, and you can’t always decipher their copy. But essentially the job was copyediting.

It’s also not true that Barack was the only black man in the company. He was the only black professional man. Fred was an African-American who worked in the mailroom with his son. My boss and I used to join them on Friday afternoons to drink beer behind the stacks of office supplies. That’s not the kind of thing that Barack would do. Like I said, he was somewhat aloof.


This speaks more to elitism than to racism. It wasn't that there weren't other blacks employed there, it was that they had jobs beneath his notice! The boss would drink beer with them, but snooty Barack didn't even acknowledge their existence!

… as the months passed, I felt the idea of becoming an organizer slipping away from me. The company promoted me to the position of financial writer. I had my own office, my own secretary; money in the bank. Sometimes, coming out of an interview with Japanese financiers or German bond traders, I would catch my reflection in the elevator doors—see myself in a suit and tie, a briefcase in my hand—and for a split second I would imagine myself as a captain of industry, (this appears to be true, for young Walter Mitty Obama!) barking out orders, closing the deal, before I remembered who it was that I had told myself I wanted to be and felt pangs of guilt for my lack of resolve.


If Barack was promoted, his new job responsibilities were more of the same - rewriting other people’s copy. As far as I know, he always had a small office, and the idea that he had a secretary is laughable. Only the company president had a secretary. Barack never left the office, never wore a tie, and had neither reason nor opportunity to interview Japanese financiers or German bond traders.


Do the words "self absorbed" come to mind? How about the "L" word? (And I don't mean "liberal" !) This guy is starting to give Empty Suits a bad name! And to think that he gave up all this (working in a sweatshop punching holes in papers for three ring binders) to become a community organizer!
What sacrifice! My hero!!!! /sarcasm

Hit tip Suitably Flip
Cross Posted at Say Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment